Having mid epigastric pain, back pain and urgency for bowel movement. Ultrasound done. Should I visit ER?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am a 51 yr old female. Have been having mid epigastric pain (mild to moderate pain) accompanied by mid back pain, chills, exhaustion, occasional BM w urgency. I had an ultrasnd which noted- 1. 2 small polyps vs minimal focal adenomyomatosis. 2. Mild prominence of medullary renal pyramids. I am now scheduled for a 2nd ultrasnd (3 weeks after the initial one) w focus on gallbladder & referal to gastroenterologist. What might i anticipate. Also i had 1 day prior to ultrasound that my symptoms lasted the entire day... Which i pushed thru... If this happens again shld i go to ER
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
From the description you have given there are two issues which need to be addressed.
1. Burning micturition with urgency accompanied by backache and chills is typical of complete blood count and urine culture along with microscopy. This will help in identifying the organism responsible for the infection and thereafter be treated.
2. Polyps in the gall bladder along with adenomyomatosis usually does not give rise to much symptoms. The treatment of this condition is cholecystectomy if there is an increase in the size. This can better be studied by a double contrast Ct of the abdomen. Ultrasound has got its limitations in diagnosing such intricate intramural diseases.
I hope this answers your doubt.