Having lower back pain and knee pain. How to overcome this pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having low back pain for a long time. I play cricket & go to gym. following are my problem.
1. Whenever i bend down i have a severe back pain
2. While playing i am not able bend down due to these pain
3. Also i have a knee pain in one leg and not able to claim a stool with the pain leg
Now i am doing back strengthening excercise. Kindly advise how to overcome this pain.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Back pain and pain in the knee that you have described can be due to lot of reasons. Most commonly, it is due to muscle spasm caused due to improper stretching of back muscles due to faulty posture while bending or wrong work posture.
This mechanical back pain can also be due to long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to continue back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions. Usually it takes 3-4 weeks for a complete relief.
Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain. You can discuss about this with your Gym instructor.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
Kindly follow up with me about your progress.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.