Having lower back pain. What to get relief from this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have lower back pain it has been going on for a month and when I lay down I feel like I have a marble on my back it hurts when I lay down also what can I take for pain
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Common causes of low back pain are-
Poor postural habits
Muscular strain
Ligaments sprain
Herniated disc
Spinal stenosis
The following measures will help with the pain-
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Last but not least, if the pain is unbearable and persistent take medications or muscle relaxants prescribed by your physician. And if it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having lower back pain. What to get relief from this? 12 hours later
I have herniated disk, what is good for the pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The main treatment of herniated disc is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.