Having loose stools after drinking. Feeling burning sensation and noticed blood in stools. Should I get a colonoscopy?

General Surgeon
After heavy drinking my stools are loose and hurt a bit, sort of a burning sensation and today I noticed a tiny bit of blood on the toilet paper, I'm pretty sure it's not in the stool and it feels a little sore on my rectum, like a little tear but I can't see anything when I look in the mirror. Should I get a colonoscopy?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

If the pain is located in the rectum, as well as burning feeling, most likely you are suffering from anal fissure. This condition is caused by hard stool, constipation or increased pressure when passing the stool. Due to this factors, intestine wall gets teared and a wound appears. This wound gives a pain while passing the stool and tends to bleed. Itching and burning around the anus can appear. Small lump can be visible outside the anus (sentinel pile).

If you have abdominal pain after drinking and diarrhea, pancreas inflammation should be ruled out. Peptic ulcers or gallstones are also possible.

To treat anal fissure you should:
- keep your stool soft and avoid constipation
- do not push hard on stool
- wash your anus after every stool
- have sitz baths with Quercus Cortex twice a day
- use over-the-counter creams and suppositories for hemorrhoids
- ask your doctor about Nitroglycerine gel

Such treated fissure should go away in a week or so. If it wont, rectal examination and rectoscopy is necessary.
You should also have blood work, liver tests, amylase, urine amylase and abdominal ultrasound to see liver condition and rule out pancreas inflammation.
Please try to avoid alcohol, fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.