Having leg cramps at night and advised to take Gabpentin. Is it the correct medication?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have leg cramps at night, and my Doctor gave me a perscription for Gabpentin. I am supposed to take
one or two by mouth at Bed time. Is this OK for leg cramps?
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gabapentin is for neuropathic pain in the legs.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Gabapentin is generally prescribed for NEUROPATHIC PAINS in the legs which arises due to a compressed nerve in the Lumbar spine due to a prolapsed or protruded intervertebral disc.

Also, this is just to let you know that leg cramps at night occur due to various causes. So, Gabapentin will only work if your leg pains are due to a neurological cause.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarification.