Having large, red, swollen and soft bump on hip. Cleaning with isoprophic alcohol . Should I be worried?

I've had a large (over 1/2 inch diameter) soft bump on my hip for over 4 years. The bump has always had a red swollen look to it. About 5 days ago I wiped the area with isoprophic alcohol and punctured it with a needle heated with a lighter and then dipped in isoprophic alcohol and to my surprise only a clear liquid came out in a very small quantity. Now today I noticed that for the first time ever it had a white "head" so I attempted to pop it and a very large quantity of white hard puss with no foul odor secreted from this opening. As I continued to apply pressure, as I would any zit, more and more of the same puss came out as the bump turned the color of a bruise and shrunk in size (not unlike a deflating balloon). I continued until I could get no more large amounts of puss and mostly blood was coming out. I then cleaned the area with the same alcohol as before and now have it bandaged with tissue. My question is should I worry about this or just keep it clean and replace the bandage as I would any wound?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 30 minutes later
Welcome and thanks for your question
I would be pleased to help you with your Question

I would suggest that it would be very important for you get the infection cleared out . You will surely need to take a short 5 days course of an Antibiotic .
This would be needed as the infection may not have subsided completely by just removal of the pus . It also need to be taken to reduce the inflammation and the subsequent chance of pigmentation and scarring in the area .

Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Having large, red, swollen and soft bump on hip. Cleaning with isoprophic alcohol . Should I be worried? 8 minutes later
About 2 years ago I took antibiotics for a sinus infection I had. Wouldn't that have cleared up the infection on my hip as well?
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 3 minutes later
Thanks for the reply .

You will need to take the antibiotic as by bursting and releasing the pus , a fresh would is created which can again get re infected .

An antibiotic taken 2 years ago has no role in the present infectious state of your lesion.