Having large purple bruises. Suggest

Large dark purple bruises off and on for over 5 years. I gave up sweets. I gave up everything I could think of. I don't want testing. I ;just want an opinion or suggestion from your own knowledge and experience.

Thank Yo
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Honestly it is somewhat difficult to determine the exact cause of what you are experiencing without performing some type of testing.

Initially the testing that I would recommend would include a complete blood count with a focus on your platelets. Sometimes a low platelet count can lead to intermittent bruising. Also we would want to look at how well your blood is coagulating. Sometimes if your blood is a bit too thin it could also cause this type of symptoms. Lastly we would want to consider any medications that you might be taking including aspirin and ibuprofen which could have an impact on bleeding and bruising. According to your profile you are not currently taking any medications.

I really think a laboratory evaluation in your case is warranted. This would require a simple blood test and would help give us some answers regarding what you are experiencing.

For this type of testing you would need to see a primary care doctor initially for discussion.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns that you would like to discuss.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Having large purple bruises. Suggest 14 hours later
If you read my question I said I don't want any testing. Most of your answer suggested testing. You do good work there but please pay more attention to my questions.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
I did see your question. There is no way to determine the cause of this without testing.

Dr Galamaga