Having large lump under chin. Lump is solid and painful to touch. What should I do to get cured soon?

Jul 2012

hello doctor. I have a large lump under my chin where I released the fluid from an ingrown hair. I think I must have squeezed it too hard. The lump is solid and painful to touch but after 4 days has not gonedown. I have cleaned with TCP and used iodine for 3 days. Can you help me speed up healing
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 30 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX I note your problem is largely self inflicted. In this case, an oral antibiotic & anti-inflammatory agent are the order of the day in a dosage relevant to your body weight & taken after meals (the latter could be ibuprofen molecule to decrease the inflammation & reduce the swelling & may be obtained over the counter OTC). The former may require a doctor's precription. Dont worry the lump will resolve once the inflammation settles down. It is very possible 2-3 hair follicles have 'matted' together & you managed to pull just one out. This could have broken partially and others remained behind & caused the secondary bacterial infection. If this does not start showing signs of diminishing some 48hrs after an antibiotic/antiinflammatory course, then i suggest you visit a surgeon or dermatosurgeon & get the 'lump' excised.

Trust this information will have helped you & if so, do give us a shout & a healthy rating ;-)

cheers & good luck.

Dr XXXXXXX Rodrigues MD