Having large lump on sprained ankle. It is swollen and hurts to touch. Any treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i sprained my ankle a month ago and now i have a large lump on the side of my leg near my calf and my foot and ankle are still swollen.The color of my foot is different than before i hurt it. I have a lot less pain but the foot is 'dusky' and the ankle and foot and leg are tender to the touch. The ankle hurts more than the other parts.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Since there is a persistent lump with skin color changes and tenderness in the area even one month after the injury, an infection in the area is a likely possibility. A bone injury also needs to be ruled out.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray foot and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a hot compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.