Having knee pain. X-ray showed mild wear and tear and bit of arthritis. Took tynelol and aleve plus. No sleep. Pulsing pain. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My right knee pains me a lot more lately. Been to a Doctor had x-ray done, was told it was mild wear & tear & a bit of arthritis. Told me to take tynelol for arthritis & aleve plus keep active. This has not help to take the pulsing pain away. I'm going away in a couple of days on a three day train ride. I've kept my leg up for the last couple of days trying to easy the pain, it just hurts all the time. Hardly get any sleep because of this pulsing pain I feel constantly. I would appreciate any help so I can enjoy my vacation.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Knee brace will help during travelling.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

According to your symptoms and findings there is osteoarthritis of your knee.
As you want relief for your vacation you can use hinged knee brace for support so that your journey becomes comfortable. Continue medication prescribed to you.
You can start cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate, that you need to take for couple of months.

If required MRI knee can be done and if there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done.

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.