Having keloid on chest. Taking injections on scar directly. Suggest the solution to get rid of it?

hello doctor.
I have a keloid on the chest and few monthd back I have taken injections on the scar directly, but it is still there. please advise how to get rid of this.

thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please read a detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Most probably the injections that you took for keloids were steroid injections.

Ideally we treat keloid by
intralesional steroid injections
intralesional steroid plus 5 fluorouracil injections
cryotherapy followed by injections

very small lesions may also respond to silicone gel sheet application
very large keloids can be treated by surgical debunking followed by injections.

Personally I prefer cryotherapy followed by intralesional steroid injections. If response is not good then cryo followed by intralesional steroid +5 fluorouracil injections.

One must also know that number of sessions are required for keloid reduction. Just one or two sessions won't help. The dose of steroid injected is also important.

As you feel that you did not have much response, I would like to know how many injections you took and what was the dose of steroid injected( must be mentioned by doc on your prescription card).

Hoping to hear from you soon.