Having itchy and burning pain in shoulder blade and wrist. Blood test showed inflammation. Worrisome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have aches and pains but the main ones are my shoulder blades burning tingly itchy with pain radiating down my arms into my wrist? recently i had very painful spasms in my shoulder neck which lasted a week and then 8 weeks later my hip groin thigh started to spasm and caused severe pain for 6 weeks and now my leg is week and sore XXXXXX in the joint area. please help me to understand what is going on? an ex-ray showed the spasms and degeneration of my lower back and a slightly shorter leg? my blood test have shown inflammation. i have very poor sleep and have to get up and out of bed as the pain is worse if i just lay there! what conditions could be causing my symptoms? thankyou XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A pain in the leg with weakness and the pain getting worse on lying down could be due to calcium and vitamin D 3 deficiency, infective arthritis or due to pinched nerves caused by the degenerative changes in your lower spine. An MRI of the affected joint and few blood tests will help in determining the exact cause of your problem.
The pain in the shoulder blades radiating down to arms and wrists is likely to be related to degenerative changes in the cervical spine. An MRI will help in detecting the level of nerve root compression.
Right now you can start with mild pain killers, do a hot fomentation in the affected area, avoid using a pillow and start taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements. This will help in decreasing your symptoms till you consult your orthopedician and get your self investigated.
Earlier the diagnosis, better will be the treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having itchy and burning pain in shoulder blade and wrist. Blood test showed inflammation. Worrisome 1 hour later
I very much doubt if vitamin D3 is the problem as I eat oily fish regularly and have just spent most of summer outside?
my doctor has already checked calcium levels and they fell in the normal range!
what I am concerned about is rheumatoid arthritis or any other similar conditions as my mum,sister,and aunt have under-active thyroid and my uncle had overactive thyroid!
my dad has the skin condition keloids even though he is white British with a great grandfather Spanish?
My Nan (on mums side) had the skin condition were you lose pigment in your skin causing very pale patches all over her body? (only mentioned these as I thought they are autoimmune deceases
I would like my doctor to refer me for a MRI scan but whether he will as the NHS is very stretched!
wondering what blood test ect.. you would recommend to help resolve my difficulties?
I have aches and pains in most of my joints but just highlighted the worst!
sorry to keep pushing for answers
and thankyou
Thanks for writing again.
Repeated back and joint pains can be due to multiple causes at this age the commonest being poly arthralgia. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum magnesium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints and MRI of the spine.
All these will help in the proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.