Having itching in labia and surrounding area. Applied OTC hydrocortisone cream. No vaginal discharge. What to do?

This is a rather embarrassing question, but approximately 2 weeks ago, my labia and the surrounding area started itching and has not stopped, despite application of OTC hydrocortisone cream, and letting it air at night. I have no vaginal drainage whatsoever. The tissues are reddened at times, but I think that is more from the scratching, which I cannot help but do. I am an RN and have a clue as what yeast infections look like, yet there is no visual abnormality that I can see?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

You might be suffering from a condition called Lichen Sclerosus. This is not well understood, but women will describe symptoms such as yours. The scratching actually perpetuates the itch cycle. Here is what I would recommend that you do:

1. Call your doctor for a prescription for clobetasol 0.05% ointment and use it 2-3 times per day
2. Consider going ahead and treating for yeast even though it does not look like it is a likely cause. It is still possible, and diflucan 150mg now and again in 3 days should help if this is present at all.
3. If these don't help, then you need to have your OB/GYN take a look and obtain cultures

I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Having itching in labia and surrounding area. Applied OTC hydrocortisone cream. No vaginal discharge. What to do? 15 hours later
Is Lichen Sclerosus related to Oral Lichen Planus? Because I did forget to mention in the medical history that I have Oral Lichen Planus, and I know that can affect the genitals, but I have no bumps that is characteristic of that condition.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
They are similar and similarly misunderstood. The symptoms might be overlapping and similar. And yes, if you have oral lichen planus it perhaps is more likely to explain genital symptoms as well. I would still stick by my plan above, but an exam and biopsy of the skin would certainly be an expiditious way to sort this out quickly!

Good luck!