Having itchiness on neck and chest. Prescribed Zyrtec. Tried mild soaps. Would allergy tests help?

I am itchy -- mainly neck and chest -- above boobs. Doc thought might be scabies so have done the permetherin thing. Also been to allergy doc and he says take Zyrtec. Itching comes and goes -- been over a year that this has been occurring. Orkin says it's not fleas -- we have the sticky boxes and they capture nothing. Have cats (have had cats since 80s) and they are treated with Advantage monthly. I like bedding up to my chin so am not sure if that is the cause -- perhaps something in the fibers. Saturday night was awful -- was up a good portion of the night. We have been eating more fish -- had fish that night. Last night had beef -- not an issue. Daytimes find myself scratching so welts up because of that. Would Allergy tests help? Doc did not seem to think so and just says medicate, but I don't know what to try to avoid so I don't suffer through this.

Have tried more mild soap (using Dial creamy softsoap now). Neck seems to like hair conditioner so extend that down over neck and chest in shower each morning. Have tried different laundry detergents and returned to ALL free/clear. Vaccum regulary. Change sheets weekly. Got new sheets from Macys -- 500 thread count 100% egyptian cotton. Got rid of down comforter and got a fiber fill one then got a allergy cover for it - neck seems to like that material better than the cotton. Had air vents cleaned. Do have carpeting -- which is one reason we try to vaccum a lot. Orkin guys says dute mite allegy, but internet seems that such an allergy is more nasal and not a rash or bites. Said to spray with Lysol -- sometimes helps but have to spray early evening so smell is gone since that affects husband.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The constant itching in the neck and chest that you are having is likely to be due to allergic dermatitis.
Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating contact dermatitis. You can use aloe vera gel or calamine lotion for relief.

Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. These are available over the counter.
I advise you to follow the above mentioned measures and still if it persists or if it spreads consult the dermatologist for examination and allergen testing to find out the cause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.