Having ill defined foci. Lesion in pons and right dorsal pons. Pattern is bilateral. Numbness and weird feelings in face. Treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I HAVE MULTIPLE ILL DEFINED FOCI. ONE LESION IN PONS AND ONE IN RIGHT DORSAL PONS. THE PATTERN IS BILATERAL. I HAVE LEFT SIDE NUMBNESS AND WEIRD FEELINGS OF NUMBNESS IN FACE AND SIDE-TO-BACK OF HEAD. WHAT COULD THIS BE?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibilities include MS and ischemia

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms and MRI brain findings, there are two differential diagnoses.

First, we need to exclude MS (multiple sclerosis). In this condition, usually there are multiple white matter lesions including pons, and there are multiple episodes of neurological symptoms. Doing a spine MRI and lumbar puncture would help in confirming or excluding MS.

Second possibility could be brain ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain). Your symptoms and MRI brain finding could occur in this condition. However, you are too young, and have no risk factors for the same.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist