Having heat rash on butt and thighs. Suggest medications?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
For the past two years, I have had a problem with a heat rash on my butt & thighs. I work outside, so this does not become a problem until summer time. Unfortunately, I think I'm in for a rough season. In the past, it would take a good 4-6 weeks for this rash to become "severely" bothersome. We have only had one week of weather above *86 & this rash is worse than ever!! Had to leave my card game tonight because it was unbearable to sit in the chair!!
Please tell me that there is some kind of pill I can take to clear this up & use as a preventative every summer!!! I have a whole summer ahead of me. Thank you!!
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 10 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

This is very bothering and unpleasant condition and many people are worried when summer comes. First you must be sure that there is no yeast or bacterial infection so if you notice increasing pain, fever, pus formation or redness speading you should visit your doctor.

The best treatment is prevention:
Let the skin air-dry instead of using towels.
Avoid ointments or other lotions because they can irritate the skin.
Keep the skin cool and dry.
Avoid hot environments and take refuge in cooler environments. Air conditioners, oscillating fans, and limiting physical activity in a hot environment can help prevent heat rash too. Avoid skin-to-skin contact by placing a clean cotton washcloth or material between skin folds like between gluteus. Apply cool packs over the affected areas for 15 min when symptoms are intensive.

Wear clothing that allows the skin to breathe in a hot environment. Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration in hot environments.

There are topical and systemic medicines used for heat rash. When rash is already there you can use calamine lotion or mild hydrocortisone or triamcinolone cream.

Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine or loratadine, can help decrease itching and prevent rash before it occured but take it in consultation with your GP.

WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.