Having headache, irregular periods, blurred vision, pain in ear and vertigo symptoms. How to get cured?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hi there.
I wear contacts and glasses. for the past 8-9 months I have had blurred/spotted vision. It is not floaters, etc. I have had an optimap and two exams. My eyes themselves are fine. I have some stretching due to nearsightedness on my retina, but it is not near detaching. It is not due to dry eyes, dirty contacts, etc. I also have vertigo symptoms, sometimes an inner ear ache on one side (my left). The same side, I have a hard lump behind my ear in the dip just behind the lobe. The same side, I have a almost constant head ache with tingling toward the back.
About 22 months ago I began have irregular menstural cycles after 14+ years of being like clock work. After pushing the doctors they finally found high levels of T3 and Prolactin. The T3 has since leveled out, however the Prolactin is still high. We completed an MRI in May that came back normal.
I am seeing a neruologist in 6 weeks. My cognitive functioning has gone down and my general attentivenessa nd mindfullness have become clouded at best. It becomes difficult at times to find words when speaking. I have problems where I blend words together when writting. I also become confused when doing simple math. Driving and walking are and issue due to the virtigo. Taking dramamine makes me too tired to function.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 3 hours later
Dear Friend,

After reading your history I would like to know that whether you any history of anxiety or panic attacks or mood swings.
Also I would like you to get your fundus of your eyes checked to rule out papillodema. Even though your MRI is normal I want to know if sella was normal or was there an empty sella which is a variant and sometimes not reported - Because that can explain many of your symptoms.

Also I would like you to get your personality assessment done; because if you are type A personality then counselling is all what you require.

As for vertigo if it is not suppressed with rest and labyrinthine suppressants which you are taking, you should get electronystagmography to find cause and if it is associated with tinnitus or fullness in ear- it could be Meniere's disease. Consulting an ENT specialist is recommended.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Having headache, irregular periods, blurred vision, pain in ear and vertigo symptoms. How to get cured? 5 hours later
Hi there.
I am a Psychologist. No history of anxiety, bipolar, etc in family. I have consulted and ent. I have an appointment with a Neurologist Nov 26. I have also had everything you suggested with my eyes looked at.
Now what?
I have a top XXXXXXX medicine doctor with KU medical center working with me now. We have done a lot of blood work and are awaiting results.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later

Now that sounds really interesting. If all of the aforementioned factors are considered and ruled out, I would divide your symptomatology in three parts-

1. Headache and visual symptoms: I would like to know if you have feeling of nausea or vomiting with headache or feeling of nausea and with your kind of visual symptoms. If yes, then it could be a case of ophthalmoplegic migraine. EEG can be an useful diagnostic tool.

2. Forgetfulness and cognitive impairment:
Did the MRI show any frontal or temporal cortical atrophy? And what is your XXXXXXX Mental Score (MMS)?
- If these two are also normal, then chances of an organic disease affecting memory are less likely.

3. Vertigo -
As the vertigo is related to position (walking and driving), perhaps this could be positional vertigo.
Has the severity reduced since it was first noticed? - If its severity is decreasing and it was acute in onset then probably it was viral labyrinthitis.
Have you tried other labyrinthine suppressants? It helps in most cases. Surgical treatment is entailed at times when medical drugs fail to relieve vertigo.

I must say, that without an option to examine you and review the test reports, I can just speculate the various causes. You need to discuss with a competent doctor to arrive at a concrete diagnosis. The hormonal changes cannot explain all your symptoms.

Hope you found something useful. I will be glad to clarify should you have any doubts.

Dr Vineet