Having headache, fever and sore scalp. Have cavernoma in frontal lobe. Are they related?

Nov 2013

About two weeks ago i started having headaches accompanied by a fever which lasted for one week. I did not have any other symptoms other than a temperature and headaches at that time. Then in the following week, my fever went away and my headaches changed into soreness in my scalp. I'm having scalp pain on the right side of my head now and it's been going on for a week. When I touch my hair, or wind blows over it, or raise my eye brows, it hurts as if it's bruised. My scalp is very sensitive and there is pain whenever there is movement on the skin of my right scalp. I'm quite sure it's not a skin disorder because there is no rash, redness or anything unusual with the skin on my scalp. I've never had this pain before and I'm getting worried. Yesterday a neurologist gave me myoviton and methycobal 500mg but there has been no improvement after a day's worth of dosage.

I also have a cavernoma located in my right frontal lobe. It was diagnosed by accident about two years ago when I was having consecutive headaches. I'm not sure if this is all related to my cavernoma either.

The pain on my scalp is really worrying because it's been going on for so long. Is it ever going to go away? Any help and clarification would be appreciated...

Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I am also impressed with your description of symptoms and analylitical power.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that your symptoms do not represent any serious neurological illness.

It is most likely due to involvement of nerves in the scalp. There are small nerves in the scalp, which when affected, can cause pain and paresthesias (pain, tingling, etc when touched or with wind).

Medications for pain relief include pregabalin or gabapentin (neuropathic pain medications). Methycobal is more for nerve recovery, as it is a vitamin supplement.

I agree with you that your symptoms are not due to skin disease or cavernous angioma of brain.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Having headache, fever and sore scalp. Have cavernoma in frontal lobe. Are they related? 10 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

Will the pain my scalp ever go away? If so, when can I expect a full recovery assuming I don't take any meds?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back.

Definitely, it will get better. Complete recovery, however, may take 4-6 weeks.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)