Having hard, red painful bump in leg. Pain extending to ankle. What can be done?

I have a hard, red bump in the center of my lower leg (in between my calf and XXXXXXX and halfway between my knee and ankle). It is raised, and painful to the touch. The redness is a little over an inch in diameter, but the pain extends down to my ankle. I've had it for 4 days now. The first couple days, there's was a pink halo around the red circle that was a few inches in diameter, but that pinkness is gone now. I am a 28 year old female in good health. Thank you for your time.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
I have gone through the image attached. It seems you have developed a boil or a furuncle which has not developed a head or drainage point at the moment.
Boils are bacterial infection if hair follicle and surrounding area which presents as a tender bump with redness and tenderness in surrounding area.

To treat the same
Do warm water compresses of the lesion twice in a day followed by application of an antibacterial cream like mupirocin or fusidic acid etc. You may also use OTC creams like neosporin or bacitracin. Warm water compresses liquefy the content inside and helps in drainage of the lesion.
If the lesion does not respond to topical therapy alone then a prescription of oral antibiotic like amoxyclav or dicloxacillin etc will be required from a doctor nearby.
If the lesion is unbearably painful, you may take oral painkiller like ibuprofen.

Hopefully in couple if days the lesion would resolve.