Having greenish loose motions. Got vaccinated for Measles and flu. Prescribed Oflomac-M forte and Z&D. Guide?

Pediatrician, Surgery
Sir we are from Lucknow XXXXXXX Pradesh India. Monsoon has onset. Day before yesterday my mother (51yrs) got Diarrhoea with cramps and loose motions she was advised O2 Tab by Physician condition has improved from 11 loose motions to 5 yesterday. Further my infant daughter 8months old caught the same yesterday and she had 18 loose motions . All her Vaccinations are on schedule and she got vaccine for Measles and Flu on Monday 17th XXXXXXX 2013.Futher she is having greenish loose motions . We have consulted Paediatrician and she has been Advised Oflomac-M forte and Z&D DS20 with Enterogermina. Condition is better but stool is still loose greenish in colour. My 3 yrs old nephew is visiting our place he too caught the same and has high fever 102-103 and has watery discharge and greenish stool with acute stomach aches. He has been given Amikacin. Another Physician advised Monocef Injection. Kindly advise us accordingly.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Anand Sinha 52 minutes later
Thank you for placing your query on Health Care Magic
Firstly, if everyone at your place is contracting diarrhea of similar nature, then there must be a source of infection around. It is firstly most important to get rid of that source. It can be drinking water. Or something in the cooking medium. So take extra care of hygiene at this time. Boiled or treated drinking water. Ensure clean hands while cooking, serving and eating.
Next for the small kids having diarrhea. Mostly diarrhea is due to virus in children. But the description in your case seems to be some bacterial infection (fever, stomaches etc). So they definitely need antibiotics (only viral diarrhea don't require antibiotics).
1. Your daughter has received appropriate antibiotics and as you say she has improved. Stool color may need some time to recover because the antibiotics kill not only the harmful bacteria but also the helpful bacteria. Preparations with Lactobacillus (helpful bacteria) spores help in establishing the good bacteria again the stomach and gut. Don't worry too much about the color if the frequency is not much. Just ensure good hydration, hygiene and a healthy diet.

2.Your nephew also needs antibiotics.
a) If infection is severe and he is not taking anything orally then he requires injectable antibiotics, else oral medicines work fine. I recommend getting a stool examination and culture. It will tell you about the exact organism which is growing and what antibiotics will work on them.So you can start with one of the antibiotics (oral/injectable) and then modify according to the reports (in case he is not improving with that antibiotic). Follow just one pediatrician's advice. I would also recommend addition of Metronidazole to his prescription which takes care of specific diarrhea causing organism. For proper doses and prescription consult your pediatrician.

b) Maintain his hydration. Be careful about his urine output. If his quantity of urine goes down or he is not tolerating or taking anything orally, then he may requires fluids to be injected.

c)If fever persists then he may require more blood tests to rule out typhoid also. But if he improves then it is not essential.

Hope that helps you
God bless you
Dr Anand Sinha
MCh Pediatric Surgery
Follow-up: Having greenish loose motions. Got vaccinated for Measles and flu. Prescribed Oflomac-M forte and Z&D. Guide? 1 hour later
Sir the Stool Examination Report of my Nephew has come :-
RBC - Nil
Pus Cells- 1-4/hpf
Entamoeba Histolica- Absent
Entamoeba Coli - Absent
Giardai Lamblia - Nil
Trichomonas Hominis - Nil
Ova -Nil
Candida Bodies - Present (Stray)

Fever Morning 7.30am :100.6 Degree Fah
Fever Evening 5.00pm :100.5 Degree Fah

Oflomac M fort and Enterogermina second dosage administered at 5.30pm

Second Dosage of Amikacin (500) to be given at 7.30pm

Total 8 Loose Motions Today.

Any advises for food and any other suitable medicine.
Answered by Dr. Anand Sinha 1 hour later
Thank you for being in touch through Health Care Magic
The stool report is almost normal. That is good.
1.You should continue with the antibiotics. He should respond to that.
2. Watch for dehydration. Give him lots of ORS if he is not vomiting. Or fluids in any form. Keep a check on the frequency and quantity of urine. Immediately call your doctor if he develops sunken eyeballs, decreased urine output or decreased activity. Also report if he develops vomiting and does not tolerate oral feeds.
3. A zinc based syrup can be added. It is said to reduce frequency of diarrhea. Consult your pediatrician for the same.
4. Fever should subside in 1 or 2 days. If it persists beyond that, some blood tests would be required.
I am sure your nephew will recover soon.
Hope this helps
God bless you
Dr Anand Sinha