Having giddiness. Normal diet. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 33 yrs old, female. Past few days I am having giddiness throughout the day. My diet is normal and I dont starve too. Past few days on doctor's advise I am taking Iron tonic too. What could be the reason for giddiness. I feel too heavy in my head as you feel when giddy....

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Repeated spells of dizziness that too within a few days definitely need attention. Dizziness can be there due to multiple reasons but at your age there are three possibilities that are coming to my mind-
1. Anaemia- reduced blood hemoglobin levels. This can be ruled out by getting a complete blood picture done.
2.Cardiac problem- Missing heart beats are one of the common causes of dizziness or it might happen due to some irregularities in the cardiac impulse. This can be ruled out on having an ECG done.
3.Weakness, any infections in the recent past, lack of proper regular meals, as a side effect of some medicines, electrolyte imbalance, hypoglycemia, etc.
All these factors will have to be ruled out with the help of your physician to come to the actual problem for treatment.
You can start taking electrolyte XXXXXXX energy drinks frequently for symptomatic relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having giddiness. Normal diet. Reason? 9 minutes later
Hi Dr,

Thankyou for your quick reply, I think the first point of yours being anaemic could be the reason but how can I solve it at home. Apart from iron tonics/tablets what else can I take to overcome it and check for sometime.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

For correction of anemia, continue taking iron pills 1 to 3 times a day. To get the most benefit from the pills, take them with vitamin C (ascorbic acid) pills or orange juice. Vitamin C helps your body absorb more iron. Avoid having tea.
You can add iron XXXXXXX foods like beans, raisins, spinach, chicken oatmeal, etc. to your daily diet. Having a protein XXXXXXX diet will be helpful.
Hope this answer is helpful.

Do accept the answer in case there are no further queries.