Having gastric reflux to the point of discomfort. Stool appears dark to pasty yellow. Portion of bowel is removed. Ulcer possibilities?

I often have gastric reflux to the point of discomfort and my stool ranges from very dark to pasty yellow or lighter at times. I do get 'normal' hunger but after small amounts am 'full' and experience the gastric 'back-up'. No significant weight loss, though and I am trying to. Please note I have had a portion of my bowel removed. Ulcer? Possibilities?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seem like Steatorrhea, undigested fat.

Detailed Answer:

I am dr. XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

It seem like a steatorrhea, which means fat is not absorbed and is thrown out in stool.

I usually seen in patient with bowel resection surgery, Yellow stool can indicate that food is passing through the digestive tract relatively quickly. Yellow stool can be found in people with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Symptoms of GERD include heartburn, chest pain, sore throat, chronic cough, and wheezing. Symptoms are usually worse when lying down or bending. Foods that can worsen GERD symptoms include peppermint, fatty foods, alcohol, coffee, and chocolate.

Yellow stool can also result from insuffient bile output. Bile salts from the liver gives stool its brownish color. When bile output is diminished, it often first appears as yellow stool.

If the onset is sudden, yellow stool can also be a sign of a bacterial infection in the intestine.

I need to know more about the stool is it just sudden or it has been their for some time ?

Please answer above question so that I have some more idea what advice to give you.

Please feel free to contact me.
Follow-up: Having gastric reflux to the point of discomfort. Stool appears dark to pasty yellow. Portion of bowel is removed. Ulcer possibilities? 3 hours later
XXXXXXX Dr. XXXXXXX I think it would be safe to say the variation in stool color has been like this at least since my surgeries. What is even 'stranger' is that there have been a few times when it has actually been red. I mean red, as in instead of any normal color. I've wondered if processed tomato sauce could do that, one doctor I see suggested beets may do it, but I had not eaten any of those. This is not a regular occurrence either, just once in a while.
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its normal to have yellow stool after surgery

Detailed Answer:

As I explained yellow color stool is due to fat in stool which is difficult to absorb since the bowel length is reduced by surgery.

Now red, color stool may be from tomato / beet, but it may be blood. I need you to take a stool test available in market to check if you have bleeding.

You may buy the kit called "REVEAL Colon Disease Test" or "Ez Detect at home Stool Blood Test" , it a test you can do it at home at minimum cost and we can get the doubt of bleeding out of our mind. The instruction how to do the test will be written on the instruction manual, still if you have any doubt please contact me.

Please follow above test if positive result then contact me. Let me know if you need any thing else.

Thanks again.