Ask a Urologist   »  

Having frequent urination and soreness. Urine test done. What are the complications?

I have had a urine test which was sent to the lab, my symptoms were frequest passing urine and soreness, test has come back with no bacteria seen but has red blood cells, I cannot see visably, it was under the microscope. I am worried as there is no infection and where has the red blood cells come from. I am just worried this could mean something else going on, my date of birth is 5.3.62.

Thanking you for your reply XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 37 minutes later
Ideally you should get your urine analysis repeated, and specifically look for persistent presence of Red Blood Cells.
If they are indeed present, you will need to have a few more tests. The easiest of these would include an ultrasound examination of your kidneys and bladder region with a full bladder and also after you have emptied the bladder. Common conditions causing blood cells to appear in urine include stones in kidneys, and infections, all of which might not be readily apparent.
If the facility is available, the urine can also be examined by a cytologist for presence of any unusual looking cells which might warrant a cystoscopy which is an endoscopic examination of your lower urinary tract. Some kidney disorders also might have microscopic haematuria, where the red cells become abnormally shaped.
All said and done, this is the worst case scenario. There is a good possibility that you might have no major illness, and you could have been worrying about nothing, but it is always better to be safe, and get an evaluation done as per guidelines, especially as you are now over 50 years old.
Hope I have been of help.