Ask a Urologist   »  

Having frequent urination. Does this indicate bladder problem?

I go to the bathroom to urinate very frequently and if I don't go right away it seeps out. Does this sound like a bladder problem?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
overactive bladder?

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it does look like a bladder problem. You have not given details but there is a significant possibility that you could be having an overactive bladder. This is a condition of exclusion meaning we will diagnose it as such once we exclude other causes such as bladder infection or an outlet obstruction. This can be verified by a few basic tests such as a complete urine analysis , an ultrasound of kidneys and urinary bladder with an estimate of post void residue. A simple test called uroflowmetry will give an indications whether there is any obstruction. If there is no obstruction or infection and if the kidneys and bladder are reasonably normal on ultrasound we can expect significant benefit from the use of drugs belonging to a group known as anti-cholinergics which will reduce both urgency and urge leak and also reduce the urinary frequency to a manageable level. Some of these drugs can cause dry mouth and therefore I suggest you start them at a low dosage initially and titrate the dose depending on clinical response. These are prescription medicines and thus you might need the drug order from a Urologist before you can start using them.
Hope I have been of help.