Having fever, blisters inside mouth, loss of appetite and feeling fatigued. Is it herpetic gingivostomatitis?

I am a male, 30, and believe I might have herpetic gingivostomatitis. I've been basically bed ridden for 4 days now, really high fever, very fatigued, complete loss of appetite, mouth is extremely soar, blisters on inside of mouth and tongue (nothing on exterior of mouth or genitals). Brushing my teeth is very painful, results in bleeding of the gums. Swollen and tender lymph nodes.

Do you think it is herpetic gingivostomatitis? Also, does this mean I have herpes? What treatment should I take?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later

I am sorry to know about your illness. I agree with you that herpetic gingivostomatitis caused by HSV) can cause all your symptoms, but all other infections especially virus can also cause mouth soreness and ulcers. Therefore without a direct examination by a competent dermatologist / testing your blood samples for herpes antibodies, I would be wrong to call this as herpes.

Precisely for the aforementioned reasons, I strongly advise you to consult your primary healthcare provider. You will need antiviral and antibiotics/antifungal oral paints after initial evaluation.

In the meantime, maintaining oral hygiene is extremely important. Add plenty of XXXXXXX vegetables and fruits to your diet. Consume plenty of fluids and take vitamin supplements.

I hope I have answered your queries. Please let me know if you got any other questions.

Kindest regards
Follow-up: Having fever, blisters inside mouth, loss of appetite and feeling fatigued. Is it herpetic gingivostomatitis? 8 hours later
Thank you for your reply.

Do you recommend I keep brushing even though its painful and causes bleeding? Also, I have been using mouth wash multiple times a day as well, should I continue that?

Finally, last night I woke up multiple times completely soaked in sweat, even though my fever has definitely lowered. Does that mean anything?
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 18 minutes later
No I don't recommend brushing, just use a mouth wash. The sweating happens due to effect of medication like paracetamol or Ibuprofen. Did you use them?
I insist you should see primary health care physician for assessment and treatment.
Kindest regards