Having fever and lower back pain. Lost appetite. Diagnosed with pneumonia. Help?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi. My 2. Year old daughter has been having fever for 6 days, spiking at 105.8 and consistently above 101. She complains of lower back pain, pain behind her eyes. She is alert and responsive, but lost her appetite mostly. Still taking fluids. We recently returned from the Philippines, which is where she began to have the fever. She was also diagnosed with pneumonia 4 weeks ago and completed the antibiotics and was well for over 1 week afterwards. Help?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 43 minutes later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As I can understand your daughter had pneumonia 4 weeks back. I presume it as bacterial because she got well after completing her antibiotics course.

Because she has high grade fever now for past one week, I suspect it could be due to complication of pneumonia/sepsis. Please consult your doctor immediately because pain behind eyes could be due to meningitis which is a known complication following bacterial pneumonia.

You also need to get your daughter completely checked for tropical illness like malaria, typhoid and dengue, because she had been to Philippines recently.

Hope I answered your query
Wishing your daughter speedy recovery.

Dr Arun
Follow-up: Having fever and lower back pain. Lost appetite. Diagnosed with pneumonia. Help? 20 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX We had her tested for dengue (2 weeks for results), and also had hepatic function test (normal results) and CBC, which had an elevated WBC. The treating physician also detected an ear infection, but believes that to be secondary to whatever primary infection she had. He suspects dengue. We did not discuss meningitis, and I hope that is not the case. The attending did indicate that the pain behind eyes is one of the expected symptoms of dengue. She is being treated with cephalosporin At this time for the ear infection, and now alternating Tylenol with ibuprofen.
We'll be monitoring her fever, appetite, and continued back and eye pain, and any new symptoms or effects. Thanks for your advice, doctor!
Answered by Dr. Arun 35 minutes later
Good to know that her liver function tests are normal.

Do ensure that you give her plenty of liquids.

I too hope that it does not turn out to be meningitis.

Do follow-up regularly with your physician, because if he suspects dengue then it needs close monitoring.

Wishing your kid speedy recovery.

Dr Arun