Having eye pain while looking left. What are the possible causes?

Hi Dr. Grief,

I have rather acute pain in my left eye when I look to the left. This morning it has expanded to the right movement as well as the left. There appears to be no mucous or other problems with vision. What are the possible causes?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 22 hours later

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of General and Family Medicine, working with an experienced Physician. I answer on his behalf.

I assume that this symptom is the first episode that you are experiencing with no similar episodes in the past. If my presumption is wrong, please let me know so that I can correct during my reply.

The most common cause for this kind of acute pain is electrolyte disturbances, commonly Hypokalemia and hypocalcemia. They do get corrected automatically. Please make sure you consume lot of fresh fruit juices and fluids.

It may be related to the Hashimoto's thyroiditis, if an autoimmune response has been triggered in you.

If it does not self-resolve in 2 days, please see your primary care physician.

Hope this helps. Do write back for further discussion if required.

I wish you speedy recovery.