Having extreme dizziness and nausea. causes for these symptoms?

Dec 2012

I have a friend (42 years old male) that experience the following symptoms, daily. Sudden bursts of extreme dizziness (in the sense that he feels as if his surroundings are spinning), extreme nausia, seeing a lot of silver stars in his eyes. The symtoms comes and goes throughout the day. It does not occur at specific times, but can occur while sitting, standing, lying or while being active.

I have noticed on the internet that there can be a lot of causes for the above symptoms. We are somewhat at a loss, as he has been to many doctors and many tests, including tests for brain, heart, ear, blood etc. Up to now, nothing has come up. The doctors can't find anything wrong with him. Recently his cholestrol turned out to be a bit high, which he was supposed to control through his diet. I do not believe high cholestrol can have such extreme symptoms? Especially because he was he has not been given any chronic medicine for high cholestrol.

It is effecting his lifestyle as he is feeling unwell most of the time. And also one doesn't know if there is an underlying more serious disease that causes these symptoms.
Do you perhaps have any idea?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 8 hours later

The description of your friend's condition points only to one direction (which the most obvious and most common cause of this type of condition termed vertigo). He is likely suffering from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV ) is a disorder arising in the inner ear. Its symptoms are repeated episodes of positional vertigo , that is, of a spinning sensation caused by changes in the position of
the head. BPPV is the most common cause of the symptoms of vertigo. Of course other posible causes will have to be ruled out by an ENT specialist. others could be motion sickness, ENT diseases such as infections etc. BPPV itself is caused by an underlying ear condition due to abnormal crystals found in the inner ear. They are two well known treatments available for the vertigo which are based on some maneuvers of your friend's head to try to move the calcium crystals. You need to consult with an ENT specialist who can properly examine your friend, confirm my suspicion and provide your friend with an appropriate treatment.

Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Having extreme dizziness and nausea. causes for these symptoms? 15 hours later

Many thanks for your response. It's much valued.

Kind regards,

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 16 hours later

You are very much welcome. Hope my answer will be of help. And please if you are satisfied do accept my answer.

Dr. Nsah