Having episodes of extreme clamminess, sweating, salivation and diarrhoea. Any treatment?

Aug 2012

My mother, (78), is having episodes of extreme clamminess, sweating & salivation. She goes through several towels and it can last several hours. It has occurred about 4 times within the last month. She often gets diarrhea after the episode. She has seen a cardiologist and her heart is fine. She does have problems with her bladder emptying but is on a medication that is helping that, and she no longer has recurring bladder infections.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

Are the episodes of sweating and salivation more when she eats food? She seems to have imbalance of her autonomous nervous system whereby the sweating episodes followed by diarrhea happen all of a sudden and sweating is profuse. This might be part of the vagatomy, though it is happening many years after it was done.
The other possibility is something known as 'Carcinoids'. This has one test to check- 5HIAA. Her age and her previous history of lymphoma suggests it's better to get this test done. So please enquire with her physician about this.
Wish her all the best. Please let me know if you need any further clarification.
Follow-up: Having episodes of extreme clamminess, sweating, salivation and diarrhoea. Any treatment? 47 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX
I looked up carcinoids and the symptoms for that don't really match what she is experiencing. When she told her doctor about these episodes, he ordered an MRI and made it seem urgent, but he did not tell her what he was looking for. The MRI did not reveal anything. He originally wanted her to have a cat scan but she cannot tolerate iodine so he ordered the MRI.
Thank you for any sugestions!
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 39 minutes later
Her doctor certainly was looking for recurrence of any tumor in the body. But good it came negative. In this case, I would have taken a neurologist's opinion how to counteract the absence of vagal response. You can always ask her doctor if she could be referred to a Neurologist for this. Thanks and take care.