Having dull pain in sternum. What should I do?

I get a quick dull pain by my sternum 2-3 times a day last 3-4 seconds?
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Clinical review, Chest X XXXXXXX ECG, Ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I could be interesting to know exactly for how long you have been experiencing this pain. Other triggers of the pain like breathing, coughing, exertion or physical activity are important to be noted. Is the pain accompanied by anxiety, palpitations, or fever. In case you have had any recent asthmatic attacks, stress from excessive inflation of the lungs could explain symptoms. Quick sternal pains deserve a careful evaluation. A complete clinical review, with a past history of any lung, heart or bone disease are important to be noted. It could interesting, especially if the pain is very recurrent and intense to exclude lung or heart disease. A chest X XXXXXXX cardiac ultrasound and ECG (Electrocardiogramme), coupled with a complete clinical review are sufficient to make an appropriate diagnosis. Superficial bone inflammation could cause this and is easily treatable with simple analgesics and anti inflammatory drugs. Other causes like heart and lung disease are common causes. In this case, from the way you present, I find it difficult to think its something that serious to worry much about. However, I suggest you book an appointment with your internist or primary care physician for a complete clinical review. Please, feel free asking further follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain.
Follow-up: Having dull pain in sternum. What should I do? 2 hours later
Thanks for the response EKG / respiration a are normal following up with doctor.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for clarification, other possibilities Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the follow up details. It is good heart and lung evaluations are good and clear. An examination of the sternal are is important. Tenderness at the level of the sternum, especially elicited at the junction between the sternum and the ribs is seen in a common inflammatory condition called Tietz syndrome. This condition is easily treated with anti inflammatory drugs and steroids. Some rare nerve conditions or neuropathies could also present as such. Referred pain from a different site should also be checked for. Supplementation of Vitamin B compex vitamins are usually useful in certain unexplained lain syndromes, especially of neurolgical origin. The opinion of an internist, in case symptoms persist could be of much help. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain