Having dry skin problem and feet remains warm. Feeling uncomfortable. Suggest to get rid it?

Dec 2013

hello doctor,
I have dry skin problem, my feet always remain warm. and I feel very uncomfortable.
could yo please suggest to get rid of this.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use Emollients & keratolytics with Vit. B comlplex

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing Healthcare magic.

After reading your query I can get that you have dry skin problem with warm feet.

You have not provided us the relevant details like your age, sex, any systemic illness, any drugs or medicine intake and the time period since both the problems are present.

Dry skin is a common problem which is due to low activity of oil glands and less preservation of moisture in superficial skin. Though uncommon in young adults but can be a normal feature in post 30 years of age because of age related diminution of activity of oil glands and sweat glands.

In dry skin people we most often advise the patient to moisturize the skin. The most important part in moisturization is using certain different kind of creams.

There is a fundamental in moisturization of the skin that we use a "keratolytic" with an "emollient" creams.

To explain you simply "keratolytics" increases moisture in the skin by dissolving and softening the most superficial layer of skin. This process helps the skin keep to preserve more water in. Urea is keratolytic substance. Other than this Lactic acid is also used for the same.

Emollients or better known as moisturizers work by forming an oily layer on the top of the skin that traps water in the skin. SO we use Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils as emollients.

So you probably got that both can be used in reducing the dryness of skin. The most ideal way is to use these two things alternatively. So you can combine Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils as emollients and urea as keratolytic cream. Therefore both can be used alternatively. Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils are quite cheaper and are available over the counter easily.

I guide to my patients to apply any of these just after bathing when the skin is still draping. It preserves the natural water in the body. Secondly when you apply any of the creams later then also you should first give compressions of mildly warm water of can take a shower and then apply it.

Do not use any strong soap or detergents over skin. Wear cotton clothes and avoid synthetic or swollen garments in direct contact of skin.

For the part of warm feet problem: It is quite natural to find warm feet normally without any obvious cause. Sometimes if there is deficiency of vitamin B complex supplementation of for about a month period which will improve the problem.

I hope these informations will help you. Tell me if you have any further queries.

With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD Dermatology