Having diverticulitis. Suggest

I have diverticulitis and find im not doing to well I must be doing something wrong as im back to the same problem going to the toilet all the time am I eating the wrong food
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diet among many things that need to be controlled Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Yes ma'am, you are quite right. Conditions like diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, etc; all require a very well monitored and specific diet. I shall list the most common food items that usually result in a recurrence or irritation of the colon, they are: -Tea -Coffee -Caffeine -Sugar containing drinks -Carbonated drinks -Popcorn -Oily/fatty/fried food -Chocolates -Dairy products -Gluten products -Alcohol And many others, which are individual-specific (i.e. might cause irritation in some individuals, but not in others). I shall also go ahead and list other suggestions advised to individuals diagnosed with diverticulitis, they are: -Increase fiber in diet -Exercise regularly (mild exercises like walking for 15-30 minutes) -Drink plenty of water (avoid sugar containing drinks) -Do not hesitate or avoid visiting the toilet whenever you feel the need to, as this is also considered healthy, and not responding only further irritates the colon -Add probiotics to your diet on a daily basis I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.