Having diarrhea, nausea, shivering and dizziness. What could be done?

May 2014

Hi for over a week now my wife has diarrhea nausea shivering dizziness. what could it be
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

I understand your wife has diarrhea, nausea, shivering and dizziness for over a week.
As diarrhea being the first symptom, it is most likely that your wife is suffering from a problem with the lower gastrointestinal tract (GIT) especially the large and small bowel. As it it of recent onset, the etiopathology under consideration could be infectious in most cases.

The nausea and shivering could mean that the infective agent might be circulating in the blood. You have not mentioned the presence of fever though. The weakness is due to loss of fluids from the body as diarrhea.

With the above situation, I would suggest
1. As a patient care taker, please balance fluid input with the fluid lost as diarrhea. This is most important because if not taken care of, there can be dehydration, which in itself is life threatening and disastrous in diarrhea patients. Please give her plenty of fluids including oral rehydration solution (ORS). Also please take note of complete symptoms and problems she has been having till now. Ask her if she is having any pains within.

2. As for consultation, please take her to an XXXXXXX medicine specialist. After assessing her condition, they may either have to admit her and give IV fluids if dehydration has started or treat her as outpatient if she is stable enough.

Whatever the case may be, the doctor may ask for complete blood, stool and urine examination. After clinically examining the patient, they can also ask for an ultrasound examination to localised the diagnosis to the clinical findings if desired.

In most cases, the illnes has a complete recovery with medicines.

Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Having diarrhea, nausea, shivering and dizziness. What could be done? 6 hours later
Hi thanks for the response. how can I tell if she's actually dehydrated
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 45 minutes later
Hello Fride,
Thanks for your follow up query.
Signs of dehydration are:
1. Dryness of mouth and tongue.
2. Severe weaknesses.
3. Dryness of eyes.
4. Loss of skin tightening.
5. Light headedness.
6. Disorientation and vague memory.

Hope this helps.
Further enquires welcome.

Dr. Vivek