Having delayed periods, abdominal cramps with white discharge. Had unprotected sex. Pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi I am five days late for my periods and I do experience abdominal cramps with ample amount of white discharge. What's the reason for this. I did have unprotected sex for 2 continuous days before my periods. Am I pregnant?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer of your query.

First thing, you would know that possibility of pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation or fertile period and unprotected sexual intercourse. Ovulation occurs approx 14 days prior to due date and fertile period is 11th-18th day of each 28-30 days regular cycle.

From your given information, unprotected sex for 2 days prior to period is very much safe and there is no chance of pregnancy if your previous cycle was regular. Period due date may be delayed for 7 days which is considered as normal thing. It occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress or getting nervous. Here, you can undergo one home pregnancy test to clear doubts which can give you some stress relief.

Beside pregnancy, other reasons of late period are irregular diet habit, change in weight, ovarian cyst, psychological factors, high prolactin level, hypothyroid state etc.

To make a concrete diagnosis, you need to consult with gynecologist for clinical examination and relevant investigations (like pelvic ultrasound, hormone assay etc) if you do not get your period after 7-10 days. You may require progesterone medication to induce period after getting negative pregnancy test. You must take a proper prescription from your treating doctor.

Last thing, abdominal cramp and white discharge are regarded as Premenstrual Symptoms which indicate you will get your period shortly.

To get your period, you must maintain a healthy lifestyle by following things:

1) take healthy diet 2) avoid spicy foods/ salt/ coffee 3) drink more water and eat green vegetables 4) control body weight 5) avoid stress by regular meditation 6) keep bowel habit regular and 7) take sound sleep.

Hope, I have explained every thing in details for your proper understanding. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and don't be stressed.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having delayed periods, abdominal cramps with white discharge. Had unprotected sex. Pregnant? 1 hour later
I usually don't have a regular cycle last time it was 2 days earlier which means I was supposed to get periods on 12th of may but instead had them on 10th of may and this time it was due on the 10th but I still don't have it yet though I have signs! Seeing the last cycle do you think that there's something negative?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Most of the women usually get their period within 28-30 days. Therefore, 2 days variation in your cycle does not impact much on your chance of pregnancy as I have mentioned earlier.

As you have gotten period symptoms now, you will get your period shortly. Don't be worried much as it can cause your period late.

Finally, you need one consultation with your gynecologist if you do not get your period even after 10 days.

Hope, it will help for your information. If you do not have other query, you can close the discussion.

Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having delayed periods, abdominal cramps with white discharge. Had unprotected sex. Pregnant? 19 hours later
Negative pregnancy test and still no periods. What's happening! I'm clueless.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

With negative pregnancy test, you have two options right now:

1) You can wait for another 1 week to get period normally through previously mentioned healthy measures. Don't be much stressed.

OR, 2) You can consult with gynecologist for proper medication (like progesterone pill) to induce your period after clinical examination and necessary investigations (like ultrasound scan etc). Kindly, take a prescription from your doctor.

Hope, it helps for proper understanding. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having delayed periods, abdominal cramps with white discharge. Had unprotected sex. Pregnant? 12 hours later
A bloated stomach with growing pain and more and more discharge everytime! Discharged almost 6 times today! Should I wait for another 3 days or consult the doctor ASAP? Please guide me!

Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow-up query.

All above symptoms are represented as premenstrual symptoms and if you want to wait for few more days, then you will definitely get your period naturally.

Otherwise, you can consult with your doctor to induce period by medication if you do not get your period in this time.

Hope, it helps for you. Don't be much worried about this. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having delayed periods, abdominal cramps with white discharge. Had unprotected sex. Pregnant? 25 hours later
My breasts are now heavy abdominal pain has grown immensely with more white discharge but no clue of periods yet. Should I take another home pregnancy test? Which stick should I use? Can I be pregnant?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for your queries.

As I mentioned earlier all the above features are associated with premenstrual symptoms. You may have to wait few days to get your period. If you still suspect pregnancy, you can repeat the home pregnancy test to clear your doubts if you do not get your period within 3-4 days.

There are several pregnancy test kit available like velocit, one step etc to detect possible pregnancy. You must use morning urine sample for more accurate result.

With above sexual activity, your chance of pregnancy is very much rare. So do not be worried. If period do not resume in the next 3-4 days, you can consult with your gynecologist for proper medication to induce your period.

Don't be stressed much. Do regular meditation in the morning. Take healthy diet and a sound sleep.

Hope, I have answered your queries. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Dr Soumen