Having dark reddish skin in groin area. What medicine should I take to get cured?

ENT Specialist
I have darker reddish areas in my groin area,not rash or itchy. Just deeper color , red. It has been there for about 4 years. i am 77, female.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Well,Your history and clinical picture are consistent with a diagnosis of Erythrasma. The reason is that your condition is chronic, non allergic, not painful.

This is an asymptomatic skin infection with bacteria known as diptheriods.
Here is how we treat this condition:

1. Antibiotic-steroid skin lotion-- local application twice a day for 21 days

2. A course of oral antibiotic ( after consulting a physician, in appropriate doses.)

3. Keep the area as dry as possible

4.Use Medicated soap - any will do. Continue using this even when you are absolutely fine to prevent a recurrence.

Hope this will help you out and please feel free to ask for any further clarification regarding your condition.

Follow-up: Having dark reddish skin in groin area. What medicine should I take to get cured? 6 hours later
I have read about erythrasma. I do not have any scaling, or borders. The skin is perfectly smooth. It is just more red in areas. It looks like blood has seeped to the skin. It is not in any folds, It is along the inside of my thighs.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Hi again,

Is it possible for you to send me a picture of the same? You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

One other possibility is vascular discoloration disorder. It is just a non-infective, benign, painless lesion. The cause is ageing.

Please, do not worry for this condition, and follow the above advices.

Awaiting your response.