Having crawling sensation around anus and testicles. Feels itchy and painful. What could this be?

Hello. About three weeks ago I started having crawling sensation around my anus and testicles. I also have some testicular discomfort/pain. My anus also feels a little itchy and pained. I thought I might have Pinworms so a week ago took PinX. The symptoms still persist which are more extreme at night which causes me to sleep poorly. Thoughts on what is could be?

P.S. My last few stools have had white specks and the appearance of stringy substance sticking out of my stool.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

In my clinical experience, crawling sensation, white specks and stringy substance point towards a candidal infection. It seems that your gut has gotten infected. The white specks are the fungal forms and the stringy substance may be the intestinal lining that is being shed in order to remove the fungal forms. It may have started post-antibiotic use or reduced immunity for other reasons.

I will advise the following to deal with the issue:

1. Take hygienic food and pure drinking water. Contaminated water has many germs that can cause super-infection of the gut. Reverse osmosis technique produces safe drinking water. Drink lots of water. This step may be needed lifelong.

2. Take multivitamins one tablet daily, as you may be having some mal-absorption of nutrients from the gut. This will be needed until the nutrient loss gets controlled. Also get tested for celiac disease.

3. You can try local anti-fungal creams like miconazole cream for skin itching/crawling sensation. Its effect lasts for 2 - 3 days thus a repeat application is needed after a long time.

4. Stay away from the unnecessary medication as it may worsen the condition.

5. If you feel the symptoms are getting worse or do not get better with the above recommendations, then I will advise that you get a colonoscopy done. It will help narrowing down the diagnosis.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee