Having constipation. Take lactibiber and herbolax for bowel movement. Taking volibo and pregaba for cervical spine. Treatment?

i am suffering from chronic constipation. I take lactibiber 2 tsp and 4 herbolax tablets often to get the bowel moving. I want to know whether these medicines can be used over long time. I request your opinion in the matter I am taking volibo 0.3 1-1-1 to control pp b.g and also pregaba75 1-0-1 stugeron 25 mg 0-0-1 for cervical spine compression and numbness in finger
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 42 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Laxatives in general, are not to be taken for prolonged periods as they can cause side-effects. The medicine Herbolax is a herbal medicine. Herbal medicines are not supported by enough research. The long term effects and side-effects are not well-studied and you should limit the routine intake of these medicines. About lactibiber, it has two constituents: lactitol and isabghula. Isabghula is safe to take over prolonged periods. Lactitol is a relatively newer medicine. Till now the research has shown that if it is taken in lower doses, it is well-tolerated and does not produce side-effects.

My suggestions will be as follows:

1. Take high fiber diet like fruits and vegetables up to 5 times a day. You can also try digestive biscuits that are high in fiber.

2. You can try prunes and XXXXXXX juice for mild constipation. You can find prunes at any store in the dry fruit aisle.

3. For bad constipation, go for anal suppositories and enemas meant for use in hemorrhoids.

4. Take hygienic food and pure water. Reverse osmosis technique makes the water purest. It will help in long run to control unnecessary infections coming up due to diabetes.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Having constipation. Take lactibiber and herbolax for bowel movement. Taking volibo and pregaba for cervical spine. Treatment? 5 hours later
dear dr kindly clarify on the following

whether suppositories and enemas can be used over long time

whether stool softener can be used regularly instead

whether fruit diet can be taken when taking drug for pp b.g.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 14 minutes later
Hi again

I personally feel that suppositories are safer than stool softeners for prolonged use. Though it is not to be used every day. You should try to get motions naturally. If unable to get in 2 or 3 days then go for a suppository. You may use it alternately with Lactifiber.

Up to 1 - 2 fruits can be taken in a day in well-controlled and mild diabetes. Though you may avoid juices for that matter. I think you can safely take 2 prunes a day if blood sugar levels are in control. If not in control, then I will recommend that you try Lactifiber or suppository only.

Dr Vaishalee