Having constant pain in chest and moves towards back of head. Pain in left arm and jaw. Recovered from COPD. Concerned?

Hi Doctor.

I have frequent, almost constant pain in my chest, (both sides but frequently to the left) back (across the upper back both left and roght sides) the pain also moves up into my shoulders and neck and to the back of my head. I also have pain frequently in my left arm and also my jaw.

I have had EGC several times, and also a 24 hour heart monitor and my heart appears to be absolutely fine (I have suffered before with eptopic beats so, nothing abnormal or weird)

The places i feel the pain do hurt when I press down on them (and it causes great pain to press on them) also if I stretch my neck or arms there is pain there too.

Im confident that it's not cardiac related as I have had many tests (The ECG, Monitor and also an X Ray) and I feel that it may well be a muscular problem, however I am not a Doctor so I felt it good to check with you.

As a side note, I have recently recoeved a partial doagnosis of copd.

Kind Regards,

Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 6 days later
Brief Answer:
Possibilty of having Cervical spondilitis

Detailed Answer:
Read your history in detail.

There might be two possibilities having these problems.

1, Cardiac pain,
2, cervical spondilitis.

As you had gone all tests for having any cardiac ailment and turned out normal, possibility of having any cardiac ailment is ruled out.

You have not mentioned your age but if you are elderly then there is some degenerative changes occurring in cervical spines resulting in cervical spondilitis.

In this condition there is some pressure or irritation on the nerves passing through cervical vertebrae producing pressure symptoms in the neck, shoulder, arms and head giving rise to pain.

There is also a chance of having osteoporosis producing this type of muscular pain as well.
In this condition I will advice to go for X-ray cervical spine or MRI.
Consult orthopedic surgeon and get examined.
Physiotherapy, short way diathermy and cervical traction will be very much helpful.

I hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please write back.

Follow-up: Having constant pain in chest and moves towards back of head. Pain in left arm and jaw. Recovered from COPD. Concerned? 1 hour later
Hi there, thank you for your reply.

I am 32, I have attached a recent X XXXXXXX that I had done which initialy lead to my diagnosis of COPD...

Any thoughts?

All the best .
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
X-ray shows BVM and other changes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting query again.

X-ray chest reveals marked Broncho-vascular markings (BVM) and COPD changes. Since the X-ray is taken along PA view, I am not able to appreciate cervical spine changes. We order X-rays along AP and lateral view of cervical spine to note cervical spine changes.

At this age, degenerative changes are not common; but cervical spondylitis can occur. Further extra cervical rib can also produce these problems. Therefore I would recommend X-ray spine as described above.

COPD can be managed with deep breathing exercise. You need to quit smoking if you smoke.

In brief, your present problems have no relation with COPD. You should go for further tests. In the interim take Calcium, Vitamin A and D supplements.

I hope I answered your query. If you do not have further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.