Having consistent tingling sensation in hands and foot. Have asthma and Chronic Chest Infection. What can be done?

Nov 2013

Hi, I am a 32 year old male. I have had a more or less consistent tingling in my hands and left foot. This started on Saturday afternoon. I was at a party on Friday and a wedding on Saturday. I drank alcohol at both, and also felt the symptons of a hang-over. If I am honest I stil feel them a bit.

Ihave been trying to counter-act the hang-over by drinking as much water as possible, though the tingling is concerning me. I have had similar symptons before but never so severe or for so long.

I don't drink all the time, I am just a social drinker - though even social drinking doesn't agree with me anymore.

I don't have any other illnesses or diseases that I am aware of - I am generally quite fit and healthy, restinr HR of below 60, BMI under 25, etc.

I heard that maybe it could eb due to a salt imbalance (see link - WWW.WWWW.WW - but I wanted to check first in case is was something more severe.

I have had plenty of sleep and I even exercised yesterday (swimming).

The tingling is predominatly in my hands but I can feel it in my left foot at times.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 41 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query and giving a detailed account of your symptoms.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious neurological illness.

There are two other possibilities (other than salt imbalance):

1. Compression of the nerves- mechanical compression of nerves in hands and feet are common after deep sleep, that occurs after drinking. These symptoms tend to improve over time, they mostly subside in a week's time.

2. Deficiency of vitamins such as vitamin B12 and thiamine- taking supplements of these vitamins are helpful.

In any case, you need not worry, as you would soon get better.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Having consistent tingling sensation in hands and foot. Have asthma and Chronic Chest Infection. What can be done? 24 hours later

It has now been 4 days since my symptoms started.

I have been taking B12 since Monday, drinking water and rehaydration solutions.

The tingling is still present mainly in my right hand and much less frequent in my left foot.

I have been sleeping on my back with my hands on my sides.

I do also still feel dehydrated (thirsty, headaches, dry mouth, some dizziness) and have had some diarrhoea (I am passing water very frequently also).

How much longer would you suggest I tolerate these symptoms before I should seek medical help face-to-face?

I am only looking for guidance (as I understand the disclaimer), as I don't want to take time off work for the sake of it.

The tingling is very concerning for me - even though it causes no pain and goes away when I exercise.

Kind regards.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 35 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

If the tingling is same or getting better (even little bit), then, you can wait for a few more days (may be till this weekend) for it to improve on its own.

However, if you notice that tingling or numbness is getting worse, or if newer parts of body are getting affected, then, you may consider meeting a doctor earlier.

In the meanwhile, please take caution to replenish any water or electrolyte losses that you are having (by ensuring adequate intake of water, juices, salt, etc).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)