Having cold and cough with slight fever. Noticed blood in mucus. What am I suffering from?

I was having regular cough and cold since last 2-3 days with slight fever .. the fever subsided within a day post taking Crocin Cough and Cold .. now only thing remaining is cough ..

I was coughing vigourosly since last evening, with head spinning post coughs .. the same was also in the night, hence as home remedy I had put a clove in my mouth and then was able to sleep .. today morning post coughing I am getting little trace of blood in my mucus ..
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hard coughing can cause a mild blood stain in the mucus. The symptoms you have are likely to be due to a viral infection.
Usually viral infections will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.

You can do steam inhalation for relief. Keep well hydrated with plenty of warm fluids and especially fruit juices.

For running nose you may apply 2 drops of saline nasal drops to each nostril twice a day for relief.

Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs.

You can take cough suppressants if the cough is not subsiding. Also if yellow colour sputum or shortness of breath develops then you may need to consult with your Doctor. Avoid taking pain killers as much as possible as sometimes it can cause bleeding problems in certain kinds of viral infections.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.