Having cold. Taking amoxicillin. Symptoms getting worse. Should I stop antibiotics?

My son and I were prescribed antibiotics. We were told we had bad colds but because they each had lasted a week that we should take amoxicilan. We both were getting better but then all of a sudden I got much worse. Now I have more flu like symptoms. My son still has the same symptoms but has gained a XXXXXXX mucus. We have been on the antibiotic for almost a week. Should we stop taking it? Is it making us sicker? In all this, we flew across the continent to visit family and now have to fl back in 2 days. Im terrified of getting worse by then and again am very worried it is the antibiotic that is making us worse.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 minutes later

Do not worry , it could not be due to amoxicillin . The worsening of the symptoms may be due to the disease process itself only that the Amoxicillin is not working in you both and you may need antibiotics of better class.

Do not stop Amoxcillin, complete the course.Antibiotics should not be taken incompletely this may lead to resistance in you.Complete the course and visit your doctor soon to be started on a course of a new antibiotic. Meanwhile manage symptomatically with antiallergics and antipyretics.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further