Ask a Urologist   »  

Having cloudy urine in morning with back pain and nausea. Diagnosed with microscopic hematuria. Concerned

my 18 year old son had cloudy urine 1 morning with back pain and nausea. That was 3 days ago and it hasn't happened since. I took him tonight to have a urine test at the doctor just to be on the safe side and I was very surprised when the doctor said he had microscopic hematuria. To the naked eye she said his urine looked normal. We now have to make an appt. with a urologist, i am very concerned. Thank you
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 34 minutes later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Symptoms and signs are suggestive of urinary tract infection/ pyelo-nephritis.
He needs to give his urine for culture test to find out the name of the bacteria and medicine which will work against it.Then appropriate antibiotics are needed.
Till the urine culture results are available, empirical (common antibiotic that usually works against urinary infection) antibiotics need to be started.
The above things can be done by the doctor u have already met and the urologist can be seen with the urine culture report.
I feel this is the best approach due the fact that there is waiting time to XXXXXXX the urologist.
Blood in urine is a feature of infection and it will clear once the antibiotic course is over.
Hope i have been of some help, kindly get back for doubts if any.

Follow-up: Having cloudy urine in morning with back pain and nausea. Diagnosed with microscopic hematuria. Concerned 22 hours later
The doctor we saw did not give him any prescription for antibiotics she just told us to make an appt. with the urologist. When you say urine culture what does that mean could that have been done with the urine sample he gave last night? She did not mention she was going to do that. I called the urologist today and we do not have an appt.until next week. I am afraid by that time the infection or whatever is wrong will get worse. Thanks so much for your help.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply.
You need to speak to the doc you met already and get a prescription for an antibiotic to prevent the infection from getting worse.
Urine sample for culture needs to be collected in the bottle specified for the same.
The urine given already, unfortunately, cannot be used.
The problem u face is due to the health care policy of the place u live.

Get well soon.