Ask a Urologist   »  

Having chronic prostatitis. Made prostate massage using olive oil. Having more pain. Is this due to olive oil?

Hello, I made prostate massage using olive oil and water consistence. I have chronic prostatitis, now I have more pains...Is that cause a olive oil? I did it only I time, because no other oils was available on the ship. I never had made massage before. I go to my urologist when I feel bad, he wrotes me to drink antibiotics and it gets better. Then the problem starts again. I am worried if that olive oil I used 10 days ago didn't make me feel pains now in the lower stomach, and sometimes in ass, when I need to go to toilet. Or maybe it's all just cause stress in job, i work in the sea.
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 12 hours later

Chronic prostatitis takes about 4 to 8 weeks to resolve; but sometimes it may take even more than 6 months.

Here in India for such cases the following are done:
1. Usually we go for urine routine, urine culture, ultrasonogram KUB / residual volume, uroflowmetry and digital rectal exam apart from symptoms to diagnose the disease.
2. We also give drugs like antibiotics, Alfa blockers (tamsulosin, silodosin), and anti-inflammatory drugs for about 2 - 4 weeks.
3. As duration and course of treatment depends on the severity of disease, we also ask the patient to take hot sitz bath, avoid spicy food, reduce alcohol intake, etc.

In your case, perhaps this could be because of work related stress and prostatic massage done by an inexperienced person. So do not worry. Discuss with your current urologist and plan a treatment in similar lines if deemed appropriate by your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Follow-up: Having chronic prostatitis. Made prostate massage using olive oil. Having more pain. Is this due to olive oil? 52 minutes later
Thanks for your answer! But does olive oil I used 1 time (extra virgin) some 30 grams with same amount water didn't make it worse in your opinion? I was thinking it made some infection or something like that...I think i even wasn't so close to prostate because I did it with fingers, as my doctor sad to do.

Probably, my urologist is not good, after 2 weeks I return home and will go to visit proffesor in University hospital to know the right diagnose and start a treatment.
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 22 hours later

I apologize for the delayed response.

Olive oil is unlikely to cause any damage or allergic reaction. And I don’t think you are facing this problem because of olive oil.

But yes, prostatic massage should be done by an experienced doctor or urologist. Also technically one can’t reach the level of prostate himself.

Consult another urologist for a second opinion and start the treatment as advised.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more queries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you a speedy recovery.