Having chronic pain above the ear on head. What is the reason?

Hello, I am having chronic pain above the ear on right side of head. This pain lasts for few seconds.
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Before I respond to your question, let me explain you that the causes of headache are so many like migraine, tension headache, brain infection, tumour of the brain and problem in the blood vessels of the brain. Rarely, there are few patients who can have headache alone (mainly short lasting) as a part of manifestation of seizure.

Back to you, the possibilities in your case could be tension headache and/or a remote possibility of any structural lesion of brain in the side where you have pain.
I advise you to get evaluated by a local neurologist who will guide you through clinical evaluation and investigations like MRI scan of the brain and electroencephalogram (a test which maps the brain function and also can tell you if there are seizures). These evaluation and investigations will clinch the diagnosis so that management becomes easy. Please note that i strongly recommend you for these evaluation as well as investigations as there is no role of empirical treatment in the current era of modern medicine

I hope that i have clarified your query,
Please let me know if I can be of any help to you in this regard
Best wishes