Having chronic hives after plate and screws put in wrist after fracture. Blood work done. Worrisome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
On 3/16/2012 I had a plate and screws put in my wrist caused by a fracture. Since then I have had chronic hives that are huge - I ask my ortho doc if I could be allergic to titanium - he answered no such thing - Since then I have done some research and 4% of people can be allergic. I contacted Melisa Labratories and had a blood tests run for all metals which I will get back tomorrow. My white count has dropped and platlets are very low. I'm thinking maybe it's the screws in my bones. I have never ever had hives - I am very allergic to bee stings but that's it. What are your feelings about this?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Allergy to titanium is rare. The hives you are having if they would have been due to allergy to screws then would have been more localized.
Since it has been more than 3 months since the screws were placed, you can get them removed as the bone would have healed well by now.
The allergy test report will help in making the things clear.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.