Having choking sensation while eating and drinking. Cannot swallowing anything. Having anxiety. Can be related?

Dec 2014

Hi Dr

Please see my medical history below.

Currently I am having sudden choking sensation even while I am not eating/drinking anything. Feels as I am choking on my saliva. Can't swallow it properly.

The issue is it happens out of the blue and is very disturbing .

Could be it be anxiety related or do I need to get any more investigations done.

Are there any coping mechanism to ease these symptoms.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

I have read your question and I can understand your problem. You have been diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder about 2 years back and you are currently off medicines since last 2 months. All investigations including ECG, Thyroid function tests came normal.

You have been experiencing sudden choking sensation with difficulty in swallowing. These complaints are occurring in episodic manner.

See most likely it is related to anxiety. Sudden onset dryness and choking in throat may occur due to panic attack and episodic nature further confirms the diagnosis.

If these symptoms are causing disturbance in social and occupational field then there is need to consult a Psychiatrist and to start medicines.

Non medicinal treatment in form of Relaxation Exercises or Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercise, Breathing Exercises help in quick relaxation and to delay the attacks. The relaxation techniques are coupled with Behavior Therapy. Individual is made to learn bodily changes in panic attacks and then he is taught to control the bodily symptoms.

Apart from this medicinal treatment is very effective in anxiety and panic attacks. SSRI medicines like Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertaline etc are very effective in anxiety. The medicines are usually prescribed for long periods of time and are free of serious side effects. These medicines help to correct biochemical abnormality in anxiety.

For episodic control of anxiety medicines like Clonazepam, Etizolam etc are given. The drugs help in quick relaxation and should be taken on SOS basis.

Hope this helps you, if you have more questions you can ask again.