Having chest pain after cardio workouts. Have mitral valve prolapse. What to do?

I have been having minor chest pain after my cardio workouts. I do 60 minutes of intense cardio, and have mitral valve prolapse. I am wondering if there is anything to worry about. I am very healthy and in great shape otherwise
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 37 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concerns,

I am happy to know that you do regular work out please continue to do so.

Your minor chest pain may be related to your mitral valve prolapse and exercise which causes fast heart rate. You can reduce duration or intensity of work out.
Individuals with mitral valve prolapse, particularly those without symptoms, often require no treatment.

I am sure you must have done Echocardiography for assessment of mitral valve.
Natural therapies may include a natural diet higher in fat, probiotics, mineral-rich water, magnesium-rich foods,

In few patients with chest pain commonly low dose beta blockers like Propranolol is commonly used.

I would suggest consulting your cardiologist to assess if you need it.
Supplements may include: magnesium oxide or magnesium citrate, L-carnitine, and co enzyme Q 10 is also found useful.

Hope this helps you, I would be glad to answer your follow up query if you have any.

Please take care.
With Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.