Having cavity i teeth. Suggested root canal. advisable to do root canal at such a young age?

My child aged 4.11 yrs is having one cavity in his side teeth , which the doctor said will go after 10 ~ 12 yrs .The doctor said we will have to Root canal treatment .
Is it advisable to do root canal at such a young age . Should we go for a second opinion
pls advise .
Secondly His voice always seems to be very porous/rough not as per his age . It seems he is always having cold . How to soothe his throat so that his voice seems smooth . Also he stammers a bit . Pls avise
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 45 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Yes, its a safe procedure and can be done as early as 7 years of age for the front teeth. But I recommend that you wait until 10 year of age and take a second opinion at 10 years. Most often by that time he may have sufficient healing and root canal may not be required.

I suggest you to give him meal.

Secondly for his voice , I think the child needs to be examined by an ENT doctor to rule out adenoids and tonsillitis. In addition direct visualization of the voice box will be needed.

Give him confidence and try to listen to his reading a book again and again, repeat words in front of him. If stammering doesn't improve speech therapy may be needed.

Hope I answered you. If you have any other query I would be honored to reply

Follow-up: Having cavity i teeth. Suggested root canal. advisable to do root canal at such a young age? 26 hours later
Hello doctor,

thnkx for the reply ,but I found the first line of your reply a little bit confusing .
You mean to say that I can wait till my son attain 10 yrs of age or can I proceed with the root canal in this week itself .

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I will make it more easier for you that , you can wait till your child is 10 year old .

Do not go for root canal now.

Take a second decision at 10 years of age .

If you do not have any other clarifications , you can close discussion and rate my answer.

Thanks once again.