Having calf pain and shine numbness. On contraceptive pill. Could it be just muscle strain?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi, my daughter is 19 and on holiday in Tenerife, she flew out on Sunday and has just contacted me to say she has been having some calf pain from last night and some numbness in her shine. it eased of this morning but has returned again now. She is also on the contraceptive pill. I have told her to take aspirin now. i am unsure if it may just be a muscle strain.
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 21 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence.
I share your concern. If she is holidaying then she must be moving around so possibility of XXXXXXX venous thrombosis(DVT) appear remote. Why would the pain disappear? There is no mention of swelling. I share your concern as parent. But you can not entertain possibility of DVT and muscle strain at the same time. For DVT a degree of immobility preceding is necessary where as in muscle strain opposite is the fact. I guess if she is seen and examined by a GP there, that would remove all the doubt and can be reassuring to you. You can gently suggest that. Or is there anything else you are worrying about please ask in a supplementary question I will answer asap. Regards.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Having calf pain and shine numbness. On contraceptive pill. Could it be just muscle strain? 23 minutes later

Thank you for your quick response. I have spoke to her again and she does not appear to have any swelling. When the pain started last night after she had been sitting for a period of time she was unable to walk without assistance as the pain was so severe, but this morning it was not as painful and she was able to walk about fine, it is only with the pain returning this evening, though not as bad that she contacted me. As you have suggested I think if it has not eased by tomorrow that a visit to a local GP would be reasurring.

Many Thanks

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 59 minutes later
I think your what you have charted out for her seems perfect. Absence of swelling is the major pointer against XXXXXXX Vein Thrombosis. However, to be on the safer side getting a GP to have a look and examine for tenderness will exclude it. It is better to err on the side of over diagnosis in such conditions. Good Luck. It was pleasure interacting with you.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW