Having burning stomach pain. Endoscopy showed ulcer. Had UTI. Will Pepcid cure ulcer?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
Will Pepcid cure a duodenal ulcer? I have been on Pepcid for 7 months (20 mg) and have had 3 UTI's. Is there a connection between Pepcid and UTI's? I have been having burning, gnawing pain for the last 3 days and didn't think this would happen if I was on Pepcid. I had colonoscopy and endoscopy in November last year. Colonoscopy was fine but endoscopy showed duodenal ulcer. I have a doctors appointment this Monday for pain I am having. I am afraid the ulcer is back or maybe another one has erupted.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Firstly, pepcid alone does not cure a duodenal ulcer. Duodenal ulcers are mainly caused by a bacteria called H. pylori and there is a 2 week eradication therapy for this bacteria. You will need to discuss this therapy with your doctor and start it as soon as possible,
Secondly, pepcid does not lead to UTI like symptoms and you need to evaluate the cause of repeated UTI's. You can start by getting a urine routine and culture examination done.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.